Simmons, Martha J.Thomas, Frank A. (Eds.) (2010) Preaching with sacred fire :an anthology of African American sermons, 1750 to the present New York : W.W. Norton,MLA Citation
Simmons, Martha J.Thomas, Frank A., eds. Preaching With Sacred Fire: An Anthology Of African American Sermons, 1750 To The Present. New York : W.W. Norton, 2010. Print.
These citations may not conform precisely to your selected citation style. Please use this display as a guideline and modify as needed.
Preaching with sacred fire : an anthology of African American sermons, 1750 to the present /
edited by Martha Simmons and Frank A. Thomas.
|Names:||Simmons, Martha J. | Thomas, Frank A.|
|Published:||New York : W.W. Norton, c2010.|
|Topics:||Sermons, American - African American authors.|
2. Social and religious emancipation : 1790-1865. Address to those who keep slaves and approve the practice / Richard Allen -- Shadow of a great rock in a weary land ; River of the water of life / Brother Carper -- Destined superiority of the Negro / Alexander Crummell -- What, to the slave, is the Fourth of July? / Frederick Douglass -- Receiving the call to preach / Jarena Lee -- On Christian marriage / Zilpha Elaw -- Women in the gospel ; Threshing sermon ; World to my Christian sisters ; Christian perfection / Julia A.J. Foote -- Address on the occasion of the abolition of slavery in New-York / Nathaniel Paul -- Position and duties of the colored people / James William Charles Pennington -- Why sit ye here and die? ; What if I am a woman? / Maria W. Stewart -- Keeping the thing going while things are stirring ; Ar'n't I a woman? / Sojourner Truth --
3. From Reconstruction to deconstruction : 1866-1917. Behold the man / Harriet A. Cole Baker -- All we ask is equal laws, equal legislation, and equal rights / Richard Harvey Cain -- Gospel church / Richard R. DeBaptiste -- Address to twenty-third general conference of the AME Church / William Benjamin Derrick -- Duty of Baptists to home missions / Elijah John Fisher -- Gospel message of hope / Garfield T. Haywood -- Song of believers / Lucius H. Holsey -- De sun do move / John Jasper -- Speech delivered in Liberty Hall / Emily Christmas Kinch -- Emancipation oration / Emanuel King Love -- Understanding the times and knowing what to do / William Henry Moses -- Presidential address to the National Baptist Convention / Elias Camp Morris -- Speech before the Ohio Baptist Pastor's Union ; Crime of buying and selling votes / James Preston Poindexter -- Education and the race problem / Joseph Charles Price -- If we work six days, the seventh is the Sabbath / Mary Lena Lewis Tate -- God is a Negro / Henry McNeal Turner -- Fugitive Slave Bill speech ; Character / Samuel Ringgold Ward --
4. World wars, freedom struggles, and renaissance : 1918-1950. Receive ye the holy ghost / William Joseph Seymour -- Divine warning :; Excerpts from The Divine Instructions from the Holy Prophet / Noble Drew Ali -- Who is your God / Calvin P. Dixon -- Goodbye to chain stores, Part I ; Pay your policy man ; Hell bound express train / J.M. Gates -- Wounds of Jesus / Zora Neale Hurston -- Transfigured moments / Vernon Johns -- Creation / James Weldon Johnson -- Work, business, and religion / Mordecai Wyatt Johnson -- Battle royal : a contention for the faith once delivered to the Saints (Jude 25) / Charles Price Jones -- Kaiser in the light of the scriptures / Charles Harrison Mason -- Black diamond express to hell, Parts 1-6 / A.W. Nix -- American tower of Babel, or, Confusion of tongues over the Negro / Reverdy Cassius Ransome -- Personal purity : advice to young people and mothers, secrets kept from children, facts for boys and girls 12 to 20 years / Lizzie Woods Robinson -- Heaven's Christmas tree / Charles Albert Tindley -- God ahead for 1926 / Lacey Kirk Williams --
5. Civil rights and direct action : 1951-1968. Handicapped lives / William Holmes Borders -- Measure of a man / Timothy Moses Chambers -- Eagle stirreth her nest / C.L. (Clarence LaVaughn) Franklin -- I've been to the mountaintop / Martin Luther King Jr. -- Ballot or the bullet / Malcolm X (El Hajj Malik El-Shabazz) -- Great God our king / Joseph Harrison Jackson -- Eulogy for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. / Benjamin Elijah Mays -- Days of waiting / Jesse Jai McNeil -- Lord, teach us to pray / Howard Thurman --
6. From Black to African American and beyond : 1969 to the present. Chaos or creation / Charles Gilchrist Adams -- Uneven hand / Charles E. Booth -- Being a black Catholic / Thea Bowman -- Prophets for a new day / Katie Geneva Cannon -- Worms got him / Caesar Arthur Walker Clark Sr. -- Dear enemy, I love you / Johnnie Colemon -- "Why are you here?" / Claudette A. Copeland -- Curse not the rich / Frederick Joseph Eikerenkoetter -- Toward a more perfect union / Louis Farrakhan -- Spiritual renewal : good news for the poor / James Alexander Forbes Jr. -- Outer turmoil, inner strength / Peter J. Gomes -- Between the wilderness and a cliff / Prathia L. Hall -- Circle of concern / Barbara C. Harris -- What you have when you have Jesus / Edward Victor Hill -- Keep hope alive / Jesse Louis Jackson -- Gathering of America / Thomas Dexter (T. D.) Jakes -- Dealing with disciples / Miles Jerome Jones -- Anatomy of forgiveness / William Augustus Jones Jr. -- Keep the pressure on / Vashti Murphy McKenzie -- All flesh is eligible? / Ella Muriel Pearson Mitchell -- Enemy inside your mind / Paul S. Morton Sr. -- Prophetic witness in an anti-prophetic age / Otis Moss Jr. -- Male and female He created them / Anna Pauli Murray -- God's cure for racism and loneliness / Gilbert E. Patterson -- How God sees the races / Frederick K.C. Price -- Bottom line / Samuel DeWitt Proctor -- Testimony of a towel / Sandy F. Ray -- Death of hope / Frederick G. Sampson II -- Heavenly grace and human response / Manuel L. Scott Sr. -- His own clothes / Gardner Calvin Taylor -- Not... yet / Renita Weems -- God at the midnight ball / Jasper Williams Jr. -- Day of Jerusalem's fall / Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. -- Whooping : the musicality of African American preaching past and present / Martha Simmons.